Strong leadership gets results
In John's first two years as your District Attorney, the crime rate decreased significantly. Among the highlights reported by the Oregon State Police in the Annual Uniform Crime Reports:
- The number of crimes committed in Deschutes County declined 2.6 percent from 2014 (the year before John took office) to 2016.
- Over the same period, Deschutes County grew by more than 10,000 residents and tourism continued to flourish.
- Fewer crimes and more people meant that the overall crime rate fell 8.3 percent (79.4 to 72.9 per 1,000 residents).
- There were fewer:
- Burglaries and incidents of vandalism
- John continues to work with local law enforcement to build on that success.
- Full year statistics for 2017 are not available yet, but in the first quarter of the year there were 5.6 percent fewer crimes than in the first quarter of 2016.